CUSTOM HOME TOUR

Friday, July 10, 2009

BUILDING PART IV

Decisions

Part IV
Planning

Sometimes in the course of the home building process it seems as if everything is at a stand-still. Really, this is not true. One of Jimmy Jacobs Plan Designers has been putting the final touches on our house plan. At the same time the Purchasing Manager has started getting bids on building supplies.

Meanwhile I have been doing a “little” planning of my own. There are many things to think about and I want to have a good idea of exactly what I want when I have my appointment at the Design Center. I have been looking at plumbing fixtures. There are about eight different colors of fixtures and an untold number of styles. Wow, first I have narrowed it down to the color. Now, do I want a “vessel” on top of my bathroom sink, one handle faucets, or faucets coming out of the wall? Dave is “no” help in this department, he thinks a “vessel” is a type of boat. When it comes to the lighting and fans, again it starts with color then style and priced from a few dollars to thousands. Dave likes candles, flashlights, and he believes in open windows, no help there. To assist the Designer and myself, when I get to the final selection process, I have printouts of lights and fans. I have “shopped” on the internet and I am sure that I have seen every light fixture ever made. Thank goodness I know the ladies in the Design Center will help with the final decisions and everything will come together. Dave’s final words will be “are you sure?” Leaving me to doubt my choices and not sleep at night until the house is finished.

All in all, I know we are very fortunate. The toughest decisions in front of us right now concern choices for a new home. I remember going tent camping as a child and thinking how wonderful it would be to live like that forever. Right now that sounds like fun and so much easier. The choices were simple, green tent, green lantern, green stove, green ice chest, personal flashlight, no faucet----wash your face in the lake…………..

No comments:

Post a Comment